Saturday, January 18, 2020

A Fresh Voice

Being one who is always looking to God and asking Him to speak into my heart with a fresh word, I do a great deal of reading and listening of men who seem to be somewhat successful in leading people to come to Christ, follow Christ, and serve Christ.  Most of the time these men are Southern Baptist, but sometimes not.  In recent years, I have read a great deal of Thom Rainer, Michael Catt, and Chuck Lawless, just to name a few of many. 
This past week, I encountered a new person via a twitter feed from a friend.  His name is Carey Nieuwhof, a Canadian pastor. who has some keen insight (at least for me) into leading, preaching, as well as spiritual and strategic thinking.  Sometimes it is forgotten that God expects us to use our minds to overcome the schemes of Satan.  For instance, we see that the church of our membership is declining.  Some would say, “No problem, God will take care of it,”  In actuality, God may have determined to ‘take care of it’ by placing some people who love Him enough to think clearly, spiritually, strategically, and logically, to be HIS catalyst for the redirection of the church.  It is obvious to me that while Carey is not the only definitive expert to be consulted and considered, he is certainly one that can help us to see ourselves. 
In a Dec 2019 blog, Carey spoke to “7 Subtle Signs Your Church is Dying”….While he expounds on each point, here those seven reasons are in ‘bullet form.’
1. THE PASSION OF KEY LEADERS IS WANING
2. INNOVATION IS RARE
3. MANAGEMENT IS BEGINNING TO REPLACE LEADERSHIP
4. MAINTENANCE IS BEGINNING TO TRUMP MISSION
5. YOUR CHURCH HAS BECOME FIXATED ON BEING…YOUR CHURCH
6. YOU CRITICIZE YOUNGER, UPSTART LEADERS
7. YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD HAS GONE FLAT
Here is the web address for this blog from Carey; https://careynieuwhof.com/7-subtle-signs-church-dying/
I am thankful to find a fresh voice to speak into me.  My prayer is that I will never cease from the desire to find new people to speak from the Lord into my heart.  We never get too old to learn.  Grace







No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Blogs